DOT Training for Drivers of Hazmat Shipments
This course is intended for all shippers, carriers, and handlers of bulk and non-bulk hazardous materials.
This course is designed to meet DOT training requirements for each employee who drives a motor vehicle containing hazardous material. Because more hazardous materials are transported on highways than all other modes of transportation combined, DOT requires that Hazmat drivers have highway-specific training in addition to the basic Hazmat training.
Duration: 4 hours
Delivery Method: Online
Regulations: FMCSR – 49 CFR 171, 172, 177
This course provides basic Hazmat training for drivers plus highway-specific training, including pre-trip safety inspections, general vehicle operation information, vehicle attendance requirements, and safe loading and unloading. This course also covers the new requirements designed to enhance the safety of hazardous materials, per the March 25, 2003 DOT final rule, “Hazardous Materials: Security Requirements for Offerors and Transporters of Hazardous Materials.” This course can be used for either new employees or as refresher training.
This course is intended for all drivers who transport hazardous materials.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the basic aspects of DOT training for drivers of hazardous materials
- Identify the different hazardous materials classes and divisions
- Use the Hazardous Materials Table and its appendices to properly name, label, and placard hazardous materials shipments
- Follow proper procedures for driving a vehicle containing hazardous materials, including actions like inspecting, loading, and parking
- Employ the best responses to different hazardous materials emergencies
- Recognize the security risks associated with hazardous materials transportation and list ways to minimize those risks.