How does an Applicant Request a Copy of their Report?

You may request at any time a free copy of your report previously prepared by, and/or your active database files maintained on you by, by Clicking Here will ONLY have your report if requested by one of its client companies with whom you have applied for employment or insurance, or with whom you are currently employed.

If you already have a copy of your report and you believe that any information in your consumer report contains inaccurate information or is incomplete, you may file a dispute with for free by Clicking Here. The dispute investigation process may take up to 30 days, depending on the nature, scope and source of the information being disputed. Per the FCRA, you have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. However, may continue to report information it has verified as accurate from the State DMV or PSP databases.

NOTICE: The dispute can only be filed with us if we processed your MVR Background Report for a company you were seeking employment with. We CANNOT process disputes if the MVR Background Report was processed by another company or directly by the State DMV. We DO NOT provide personal MVRs therefore you must contact the State DMV directly for any issues on your record. If you are not listed in our system you will NOT receive a response from us regarding your request and you must contact the State DMV regarding your records.